[UbuntuWomen] Meeting follow-up

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 07:05:00 UTC 2008

gee ... please ignore the mail sent earlier in error :)

On Jan 21, 2008 9:37 AM, Emma Jane Hogbin <emmajane at xtrinsic.com> wrote:
> Ideally I would also like to build on the talk that was given last year
> on Ubuntu Women with a panel discussion with group members...

The "why UW exists" phase should be translated into a showcasing of
actual work done since it will help convince others (including
nay-sayers) easily. It will be easier to explain about the UW project
(and therein ourselves) by showcasing the technical work that women
have contributed so far. We need to build on the technical aspects,
which involves roping in more women who are involved in any work like
: packaging, artwork, bug squashing, documentation, translation, <add
whatever technical task you do in free software vis-a-vis Ubuntu here>
and promote them. It marketing parlance, an actual software product
demo convinces clients faster, more than mere words or glossy
pictures.

> (2) Thanks to Cathy Malmrose for submitting an article on such short

Thanks Cathy :)

> notice to the UW column in the Full Circle Magazine. Seeing as it turned
> out to be such a hot bed of controversy last time I thought it might be
> a good idea to start thinking about the next one NOW! :)

If the controversy (i call it discussion) pushes us closer to our
*main* goal (women contributing technical work upstream), its
definitely needed. So feel free to start flooding the list with your
ideas :)

> Goal at least three visibly active women in all core Ubuntu projects.

Since core Ubuntu projects involves technical expertise, we need to
assimilate data on :
- all the women currently involved in which team/project in the
community, like testing, bugs, art, blah.....
- create a plan to "up the ante" (increase the participation), rope in
new contributors, monitor progress and plug holes if any.
- sustain, maintain and track interest levels from the entry to task
completion.

Let me explain with an example. There are many but this is fresh in my
memory : A few months ago, Selene (from China) had expressed an
interest in packaging and was directed by UW to the the appropriate
mailing list and irc channels. IIRC, she got no response on the
technical mailing list but was happier with the positive response on
irc. However, after her last mail that said so, we dont have any
feedback as to where/what project she is involved with Ubuntu. Factors
like busyness, personal life, work, less time, individual goals,
etc... are at play for both newcomers and existing contributors, but
that is to be expected.
Yet, the fact remains that whenever people just disappear quietly (if
they do), we (read UW) loses out on potential contributors. That is a
step backward and we lose time until the void created by her exit is
filled (if ever it is).  This also does *not* mean women need to be
monitored/tracked always. Its only meant to ensure that they dont
leave due to a lack of response or feel lost and leave quietly
presuming we dont require their skills, <add any other cause here>.
Via UW we can reduce the probability of losing female contributors,
which happens a lot when we redirect them elsewhere. That is the real
challenge.

> 1.1.2 Ubuntu Women will work with Ubuntu governing bodies to identify
> suitable candidates for all leadership roles.
> Goal 50% women on all governing bodies.

.... as in, the CC (comunity council) and TB (technical board) ? or
regional teams and various tech teams like we have on LP ? Its not
really clear on that page.

In Free Software, the individuals work usually speaks (with little
help ofcourse :)), which is the way it should be imho. So, i'd rather
not push that goal solely on the basis of gender. TBH, unless the
woman is involved and contributes to the project, she wont be accepted
in a leadership position in any free software community. So if one
wants to see 50% women in the governing TB we need to lay a foundation
for the goal --- which is : *start mentoring women asap*, which
existed but was never used effectively.

> 1.2 Communication
> 1.2.2 Ubuntu Women will continue to monitor all forums and promote
> participation especially by female participants.
> Goal double the current volume of contributions by female participants
> in the forums.

The lower level of participation from the forums is worrisome (/me
being more of a list/irc person) since UW was founded. I tried but
found it difficult to identify most female nicks :-) so I hope the
women active there can give us more information on participation
levels vis-a-vis women, encourage them to use the existing setup and
not remain isolated. Isabelle ?

Also, IIRC Ubuntu-Women still carries the "unofficial" tag/label on
the forums. I had discussed this with them earlier but it was not
changed.  Correct me if its not so.

> 1.2.3 UW will especially continue to monitor the Ubuntu Women Forums
> with the goal of connecting with these women and helping them to become
> part of the core Ubuntu community.
> Goal convert all female participants in the UWF to participation in at
> least one core Ubuntu project.

+1 :-)

I'd love to see a 50-50 balanced scenario in the FLOSS world akin to
the commercial industry (read, in India), but maybe that is dreaming
the impossible :-)

Thanks,
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||