[UbuntuWomen] Just an idea

t u towsonu2003 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:20:46 UTC 2008

Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has already been thought of but what about a
> starting project encouraging guys to get the females in their life
> (girlfriends, mothers, etc) to use Ubuntu. I'm not sure what you could
> call this project but i'm sure you could think of a creative name.
>
> Also, the name "Ubuntu-Women" makes the group sound exclusive to women.
> I think it should be just as open to guys who want to help out in
> getting women to get involved with or use ubuntu. Two idea for this one:
> "Ubuntu-fe" which is short for Ubuntu Females but doesn't quite sound
> like this is a group for women only. You could even use the symbol for
> female with the ubuntu logo as the top part for your team logo. I also
> think that "Ubuntu-fe" sounds sort of cool :) There's also the option of
> a name that instead of focusing on women, focuses on just the idea of
> ubuntu not being gender specific. A name like "ubuntu-sex" is sure to
> get some attention ;) I realize a name change is a big decision but if
> it will help the goals of the team than i think it's worth some serious
> consideration.
>
> Thanks!
> .Danny

Danny,

The name change you are suggesting is actually hurtful for the purposes
of this group. The group aims at solving issues related to women.
Changing its name to something that takes women out of the equation is
the opposite of the group's aims...

I'm a male and I've been a [passive] member of the group now for about a
year (I believe?) - I would suggest to any interested men just to
subscribe and listen. It helps a lot.

Thanks.