[UbuntuWomen] Just an idea

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Jan 13 04:48:41 UTC 2008

Danny Piccirillo wrote:
> Sorry my mentioning of getting more men involved with the team got
> confused with my main idea which was supposed to be separate. The
> project would just be a general effort that any Ubuntu member could be a
> part of not specifically members of this team. It would just be a
> stronger push to all Ubuntu users to get the women in their life (wives,
> girlfriends, friends, siblings, mothers, other family, etc) to use and
> get active in ubuntu through whatever means. Corny sample e-cards or
> whatever. I mean i'm not sure exactly how it would work, i brought up
> the idea so that we could build on it. It would certainly involve
> calling out to LoCo teams to pass on a message to their members
> encouraging them to reach out to more women.

I don't think it needs to be a separate project, but I do think it's a
good idea to help/teach/support ALL community members in any kind of
advocacy role they can take on.

I find the most effective advocacy is something that comes naturally and
from the heart. For example: I had Ubuntu/Canonical ship a box of CDs to
my favourite bookstore/cafe. I made a little sign and the staff hand
them out to people who are interested. The LUG can also direct people to
the shop to pick up the CDs if they don't want to download and burn a
distro. It's also a great talking point in a very social cafe.

This is something that comes easily for me. What comes easily for you?
Inviting your own wife or daughters or a neighbour's daughters to a LUG
meeting? I don't have daughters at the appropriate age: but what about
giving a presentation at a Pathfinder/Girl Guides group? I think it's a
waste of time to event marketing material for someone "out there" to use.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you
come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is
people who have come alive." ~ Harold Whitman

regards,
emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin, B.Sc.