[UbuntuWomen] My first email to the ubuntu-women mailing list

Kathryn crunchyfroggie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:46:12 UTC 2008

Hello to everyone on the ubuntu-women mailing list!

As requested, here is a quick email to introduce myself.  My name is
Kathryn, and I'm an Australian PhD student in neuroscience.  My university
relies heavily on Windows and Macintosh computers, so Ubuntu is largely a
hobby of mine.  However, I am gradually becoming less reliant personally on
XP and Vista (which I am happy about).  I'm very thankful to my partner for
introducing me to Ubuntu!

I have been using Ubuntu for 3-4 months, although I'd been tinkering
sporadically with Linux (mostly SUSE with KDE) for more than a year prior to
that.  I never really felt "at home" with SUSE and KDE, but Ubuntu appealed
to me instantly - from the more appealing Gnome interface to the improved
ease of use generally.  Although I'm still learning the intricacies (e.g.
compiling software from source code), I'm becoming more confident with
installation and troubleshooting hardware issues.  I've always enjoyed
tinkering with computers, but Ubuntu has definitely been the most fun so
far.

I look forward to hearing about (and learning from) your experiences with
Ubuntu!
Best wishes,
Kathryn