[UbuntuWomen] [troy.sobotka at gmail.com: Website]

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Aug 26 11:40:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 16:26 +0530, Vid_A wrote:

> > "Ubuntu-Women provides a platform and encouragement for women to
> > contribute to Ubuntu-Linux."
> > Where "Ubuntu-Linux" links to an explanation. I would guess that most
> > visitors and especially potential members will already know what it is.
>
> Could you rephrase it without removing the references to either the
> Debian or GNU project since both these projects are important from the
> philosophical aspect and form the bulwark on which Ubuntu stands. Its
> seems unfair to not give credit where it is due. YMMV.

That would be:

"Ubuntu-Women provides a platform and encouragement for women to
contribute to Ubuntu-Linux, a Debian based free software and open-source
GNU/Linux distribution."

But see, if you start like that, you should also explain what Debian is,
what fee software and open-source are about and how they differ, what
GNU is, what Linux is, maybe a word about the GNU/Linux trouble, what a
distribution is ...

The topic should be what Ubuntu-Women is. What Ubuntu is, and what it is
based on, is secondary. Philosophy and Credits would belong on the
linked page.

You shouldn't great a visitor with a brief hello and immediately throw
your entire background and philosophy at him ;)

> > The navigation links are sorted alphabetically. That's good if you
> know
> > the label you are looking for. But maybe it would be better to sort
> them
> > by priority for a new visitor?
> >
> > You might want to split them in 2 groups for internal and external
> > links.
> >
> > "Links" could be dropped, it doesn't set much of an expectation and
> > there's already "Wiki". "Mailing List" and "Mentoring" could perhaps
> be
> > content for "Get Involved"?
> >

> right, nice point Thorsten.

So, how about:

# Internal:
Frequently Asked Questions (or "Questions and Answers")
Get Involved (includes Mailing List and Mentoring)
Who we are (formerly Profiles, trying to be less abstract)
Meetings
Wiki (includes Links)

# External:
Forum
Planet
Launchpad

Where Internal and External doesn't have to be spelt out, just have 2
blocks / a separation. Website stats might help with sorting the items.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/