[UbuntuWomen] Women learn more slowly, or can't learn, about computer science?

Meg Kurdziolek meg.kurdziolek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:31:09 UTC 2008

First off, I think you are right  : Women can learn computer science
just as well and just as quickly as men.

I suspect that gender can effect styles of communication and styles of
learning, but this does not equate to one gender being better than the
other.

However, some women and men can be intimidated by a tutor of the
opposite sex. I used to tutor for CS classes when I was an undergrad,
and some male students were uncomfortable around me it seemed, whereas
many of the female students sought me out because they were more
comfortable around me.

I'm not quite sure how you should handle this in the future. Perhaps
you could explain that you don't feel that gender is the deciding
factor in your ability to learn technical skills, but that everyone
has different learning styles and some students could benefit from
more one-on-one practice.

~Meg