[UbuntuWomen] Inappropriate behavior in #ubuntu-women

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Mon May 14 07:25:51 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, Elizabeth Bevilacqua <lyz at princessleia.com> wrote:
> First off, we need more ops in the channel. I'm going to be putting

It would help if women from different countries volunteered so we
could cover every timezone. We should ask on the forums too.

BTW, what do folks here think about having men as ops ? Not anonymized
random male volunteers, rather men who are visible in the Ubuntu
community and are willing to pitch in. FWIW, we have had men
moderating the IRC channel earlier and Henrik has been a list admin
since we started out. The Forums too have their share of male admins.
I think this strengthens the message that UW is not at all exclusive
as is often mistakenly assumed.

> The prompting of this email was due to a male user who has been acting
> somewhat borderline since he joined the channel, and has since said
> things in channel like he was there "to get a girlfriend" - I fear we've
> lost at least one women in channel because of his behavior.  I spoke
> with him and he has since been removed from the channel.

Well if 2-3 warnings does not work, what you did was right.

> We don't want women to be turned off by people in channel, so if you
> feel uncomfortable by someone, even if they didn't *exactly* break any
> rules - we want to know about it. I suspect most of these guys are

Since certain problem seem to keep popping up often, I suggest that we
 draft a  set of guidelines for inappropriate behaviour online because
if women have to keep repeating why "said behaviour" is not ok and why
it should not be done, newcomers will choose not to waste time going
through this experience, besides the added stress and burn out in
dealing with such issues repeatedly.
FWIW, the COC does not take every possible situation into
consideration and yet it works  well.

Thoughts ?

thanks,
--