[UbuntuWomen] regarding for server installation

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 15:39:12 UTC 2007

On 06/06/07, fatma oymak <bedizma at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Caroline
>
> I ve found some document with my languages about " Linux/GNU server
> document" and it direct us below addres
>
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/edgy/
>
> and than i ve choose one option I ve burn a server CD from this page but i
> am not sure how could i install this server program....i mean if i ve
> install this server program in my PC do i have to install top of the ubuntu?
>
> many thanks

Hi Fatma (and everyone!)

Are you trying to setup an Ubuntu server for windows file sharing? If
so, you might find the following useful (available in different
languages and versions) once you've installed Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Server

Is the PC going to be used as a desktop or a server? I ask because
Ubuntu server does not install X (i.e a graphical environment) by
default as far as I'm aware. You might be better looking at the
desktop version of Ubuntu.

Is there any reason why you were looking at Edgy, rather than the more
recent Feisty release? (http://releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/)

Hope this helps.

Lucy