[UbuntuWomen] Introduction

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 28 19:32:39 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, malaikasharp at comcast.net <malaikasharp at comcast.net> wrote:
> My name is Malaika Sharp. I have just joined this list but have been lurking
> on the Linux-chix list for a long time.

Welcome Malaika! A lot of us came from LinuxChix, so you're among friends :)

> First, I must apologize: the system that I am currently using at home is
> windows. However, on my laptop, which is located in my office, I have
> installed Ubuntu.

No need to apologize, I still dual boot with Windows for hardware
debugging and when my husband needs it for work. We need to use the
right tools for the job and sometimes that means Windows, I'm
certainly not ashamed of it.

Hooray for Ubuntu on the laptop!

> I have been a fan of  and  user of Linux for about ten years. While I was
> working as a tech and later as a system administrator, I used Linux
> exclusively on my systems at work as well as at home. I have continued to
> use Linux on my own personal systems, but have maintained a windows
> environment for my husband to use.

That's quite a history, we welcome your experience.

> I recently installed Ubuntu to my laptop and decided that I wanted to join a
> learning community.

Excellent! Right now we're working to team up with the other learning
teams in Ubuntu so over the next few months we hope for this group to
be a

> I look forward to getting to know this group, taking courses and hopefully
> contributing in whatever ways that I am able and getting to know the members
> of the community.

If you haven't dropped by, the #Ubuntu-Women IRC channel on
irc.freenode.net is a great place to get to know many of us. The
forums are pretty well populated as well:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76

And of course we'll get to know each other via the list :)

We're always looking for volunteers to help out with various aspects
of the project, so keep an eye out and perhaps something will spark
your interest.

Cheers,

Lyz/pleia2

--