[UbuntuWomen] Just a little hello :)

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:59:32 UTC 2007

Hello Firas,

On 8/15/07, Firas Kraiem <fkraiem at free.fr> wrote:
> I've used Ubuntu for about one year (Hoary/Breezy era) and though I
> don't use it as my main OS anymore (please don't throw cutting objects
> at me ^^), I liked the "Ubuntu spirit" so I'm still here doing various
> Ubuntu-related things.

Nice to have you around even if you _dont use Ubuntu as your main OS anymore_  :-)

> On the down side, I suffer from Neurofibromatosis type II, which is a
> genetic disorder of the nervous system causing various tumors (no, not
> cancerous ones) to appear on some cranial nerves, especially the
> auditive nerve - more info available on the almighty Wikipedia[1], for
> those interested. As a result, I've been as deaf as one can be for the
> last two years, though improvements are - hopefully - on the way.

Ubuntu does have an Accessibility project ,
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-accessibility, but I was interested in it for different reasons.

> That's pretty much all there is to say about me but while I'm here, I'd
> like to make a little comment about a thread[2] posted a few months ago
> about "Ubuntu, women and artwork". If you find those pictures tasteless,
> disrespectful and unnecessary, as I do, then the first thing to do would
> be not to use the word "artwork" when referring to them.

IMO, a visual medium can speak volumes and convey different messages to different people where thousands of words will still be inadequate. So you are right, its _not artwork_  at all.... perhaps its the lack of a better word to describe pictures used on the jacket covers ? or perhaps disappointment that a technically superior product was being promoted in a shoddy manner, or a bit of all that and more ... !!

--
Vid
http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/VidAyer