Wiki (was: Re: [UbuntuWomen] ubuntu-women website)

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Mar 20 01:54:07 UTC 2006

Hello all :)

On 20/03/2006, at 1:15 AM, || vid || wrote:

> On 3/19/06, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:
>>
>> I've added to the U-W wiki page, information and links, and created a
>> translation bar.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen
>
> WOW :) I wish I could write so beautifully like you did :-)

<blush> Thanks. :)  You should have seen all the typos I had to
remove first! :D

> Being used
> to cryptic communication, I can see why I should'nt go near the
> documentation team :-P

It's an entirely different style. I can do that, but it doesn't come
naturally to me. So I tend to volunteer for the more personal
communication tasks. So we have different skills, which is great,
because it means a larger skill-base between us. :)

>> it. Since we get a large, prominent page title automatically, could
>> we dispense with the title table? Svaksha, if you put some time into
>
> hey, feel free to chuck it 'coz we will be doing the main website
> pages soon [/me *pokes lurkers to participate) so it may have to go
> anyway.

<sigh of relief> Thanks. I was worried I would offend someone, who
might have spent just as much time getting that table working! :)

I hope we're still going to maintain a wiki presence: it's so easy to
manage and update.

>> Hmm, it might be an idea to make this a wiki page, How to translate
>> this wiki page ... off to the Wiki again!
>
> You are right , it would be nicer to have a few main immutable/static
> pages with the links to the wiki pages so anyone can participate. That
> is central to Ubuntu and IMO, its better to retain that in UW too.

Done. ;)

I agree: it's much easier to have it out in the open, than to expect
people to scratch through the list archive.

I've found that translated wiki pages, in particular, attract quite a
few first-users, people who haven't participated in anything online
before. They start out, once they know about searching, by looking
for something in their language, and they find us. :)

I know I had one older lady who found my translation of the D-W wiki,
and was just overjoyed that there was something "just for her", quite
overcome that "she was worthy of that". I was very happy to be able
to reinforce that message.

Since she was a complete beginner, and not even running Debian, I
don't think D-W was her logical entry point, but it got her
communicating, so others could help her find her way. I think that's
one of our opportunities. :)

> Again thanks for all that work.

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this project, Svaksha:
you're really making things happen! :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)