[UbuntuWomen] Sites and site edits

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at princessleia.com
Sat Mar 18 21:08:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:19:08AM +0600, ||  vid  ||  wrote:
> Personally, I much prefer the how-to which Val Henson co-wrote and our
> site will definitely link that :)

Agreed. And I will just update the FAQs over at doc.gwos.org to link to the
how-to since it does a much better job at describing the issues. No sense
rewriting something already so well-written.

> The *official* UW website is www.ubuntu-women.org. Now we need to plan
> and set-up the  website, which will be hosted on Canonical servers. I
> have sent a mail regarding this so please reply to that thread.

Excellent, that's what I needed to know :)

> > As far as I can tell, the following pages are all ours:
> >
> > http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/UbuntuWomenFAQs
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76
>
> AFAIK, they are not hosted on Canonical servers as ubuntuforums is not
> "officially" sponsored by Canonical/Ubuntu.
>
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen
>
> yes, hosted on Canonical servers.

Thank you for clearing this up. I have not yet gotten involved with the Ubuntu
community and was not familiar with how these official things work.

I think there is generally a lot of confusion surrounding this official thing,
do you have a link that can help people understand how the internals of ubuntu
works for things like the establishment of ubuntu-women and othersub-groups?

> > http://www.ubuntuwomen.org/
>
> again ...its not hosted on Canonical servers and the domain name has
> been privately registered and does not belong to Canonical/Ubuntu. A
> whois will give you that information.

Gotcha.

> > Plus the IRC channel on freenode.
>
> Anyone can create an IRC channel and an Ubuntu Member would manage the
> channel and be the sysop as its done for official Ubuntu channels.  I
> had mentioned this earlier so maybe Mark or Henrik would like to
> clarify the Canonical position on this.

I was not aware that the IRC channel was not official.

I think it would be beneficial to have one, as mentioned previously, IRC can be
an important tool in getting into the Open Source world, and I think
Ubuntu-Women would be a great outlet for getting more women using it and
feeling comfortable in the IRC community. I got involved in my first F/OSS
project after joining their IRC channel :)

I realize you're not much of an IRC person, but I would be willing to set up a
section on the wiki or official site with help on how to get to IRC. I don't
have a *ton* of time to help one on one, but there are probably others who
would have an interest in this.

> > Are there more?
> > Should we be working to consolidate and integrate all of these? I think *at
> > least* linking them would be helpful.
>
> They will be consolidated soon.

Glad to hear it!

--
Elizabeth A. Krumbach // Lyz at PrincessLeia.com
http://www.princessleia.com