[UbuntuWomen] Introducing myself...

|| vid || svaksha at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:37:37 UTC 2006

Hi Maria,

Welcome :-)

On 3/17/06, Clytie Siddall <clytie at riverland.net.au> wrote:

> On 17/03/2006, at 6:28 AM, Maria Soler wrote:
> > I'm studying Engineering in
> > Industrial Electronics, but I started Mathematics (I didn't finish
> > it...)
>

> I think Maths is one of the most beautiful things in the world. It's
> so closely related, in my mind, to language and music. Intriguing
> patterns in the mind.

I loved Math too but disliked the way it was taught to us. Much later,
I discovered that it is closely related to language* and music. Indian
classical music has a precise structure and form which (I daresay) is
mathematical but to my knowledge this has not been scientifically
proven.

> > I'm in my first year in linux, with a debian sarge. I am working
> > developing an application for local administration with free software.
> >
> > I hope we can interchange many interesting things :D

Sure we can :)  We are in the initial stages and have a lot of TODO
stuff to get our hands dirty ... the UW web-site, UW logo, short
courses, (re-)writing tutorials / how-to's, ... Feel free to post your
ideas, suggestion/s here or on the wiki[0] and we can take it from
there.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWomen/Ideas

ciao,
|| vid ||

* Some opine that a combination of consonants and vowels was used as a
mathematical tool rather than numbers (like we currently do) using
Sanskrit language, as the precise grammar rules and conjunctions
facilitate this. However, today its usage is mostly classical (like
Latin) in nature, being used only for cultural studies.