Life and Linux (was: Re: [UbuntuWomen] Introduction)

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Thu Mar 16 06:01:22 UTC 2006

Evelyn has given me permission to post this on the list. She thought
she was posting to the list anyway. ;)  I do that, too! :D

On 14/03/2006, at 1:14 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 13/03/2006, at 10:21 PM, Evelyn Namara wrote:
>
>> Hi thanx for the warm welcome,
>
> My pleasure. :)  I'm very happy to meet you.
>>
>> No, the percentage of people using OSS and linux is still very low
>> in Uganda,
>> we are trying hard as Linux Solutions to try migrate
>> most of our clients from proprietary to open source but there
>> is still some resistance.
>
> Yes, dirty financial deals done in the background. :(
>>
>> yes, i wld like to help in any way i can, i have got
>> challenges, first, i installed nagios on a machine running suse 9.3,
>>
>> i succeeded in doing that, but i need help setting it up to
>> monitor my
>> network.
>
> It's a big task. Please ask questions on the list: there are people
> there who could help you at all points in your process. :)
>>
>> Ubuntu is also tricky for me in a place where there is no internet,
>> i have a machine running ubuntu at home but i find it hard
>> getting some of the packages since everything is supposed to be
>> downloaded
>> from the repositories.
>>
>> otherwise, we shall interruct much more.
>
> That's an important point to make on the list, and for us to carry
> to the main projects. They need to hear from people who do _not_
> have Net access, or don't have reliable or frequent net access.
> Otherwise, they assume everyone can get things from the Net.
>
> Do you mind if I copy your comments to the list? That way, we can
> all work on this together. (I'll wait for your decision. I wouldn't
> publicize anything you said unless it were OK with you.)

So, at Ubuntu, for example, whom do we talk to about making sure
packages are available to people who don't have Net access, or who
have it very sporadically and not for downloading files?

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)