Computing access in some countries (was: Re: [UbuntuWomen] Introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Sun Mar 12 04:03:44 UTC 2006

On 11/03/2006, at 11:40 PM, || vid || wrote:

> How is the IT market scaling in Uganda? Do you also have issues like
> piracy problems (with proprietary software),

There's a computing dictionary developed in Vietnam, not wonderful,
but we're short of this sort of information, and they released it
publicly and commercially. All you need to do is buy the CD.

They estimate there are over 100,000 copies of the CD in use, with
maybe 1000 licences... so nobody's updating or improving the
dictionary. :(

> low bandwidth,

and lousy phone lines, even in the city. Continual interruptions,
line-drops, and sheer bad quality of transmission. You can't reliably
transmit anything. :(

> expensive
> hardware

with most people getting by on very old hardware, even holding it
together with string and one hand (literally), so they're limited to
lean software; Internet access may also be censored or otherwise
restricted in some countries.

> and/or lack of support on a desktop level, etc...

etc. is right. The realities of computing access in some countries
(and certainly in Vietnam) are pretty grim.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)