[ubuntu-women] My intro

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Thu Mar 9 10:05:31 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Sorry I have been a little slow at joining this list.

I am Jane Weideman, I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

I have been using Linux (Ubuntu and now Edubuntu) full-time since April
last year. I last booted into Windows in December to retrieve a
password. I can now boldly state that I have no further use for it :)

Let's see where do I come from?

I studied Electronic Engineering, but soon decided the computer labs
were far more interesting and switched to IT. I have been an active
Internet participant since 1995. I am not old enough to remember punch
cards, but I do remember when 1MB RAM cost about half the price of a
whole new computer now. My first PC had 2MB RAM and a 20 MB HDD. I am
not a programmer but had dabbled in Basic & Turbo C.

My first job was at a PC repair firm, where I did everything from answer
the phones to fix bar code printers, and program and print labels, and
do some web design etc.

I have been a (limited ability) Unix Sys Admin, on an AIX box running a
PICK database, across an X.25 network.

I also compiled a Red Hat kernel back in 1997, with some guidance.

I am now not technical at all, and work as a project manager, I have
done since 1998, working for Life Assurance, Property and IT Service
Delivery companies. I now work for Canonical helping to co-ordinate
activity on the Ubuntu and Edubuntu projects.

I hope this group continues to grow and thrive and will provide the
support and guidance required by it's users.

Warm regards,
--
JaneW