Creating change (was: Re: [ubuntu-women] introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Wed Mar 8 07:08:26 UTC 2006

On 08/03/2006, at 5:28 AM, Lucia Mazzoni wrote:

> Hi, I'm Lucia, from Italy.

Welcome, Lucia! :)

> I'm system administrator of a small italian company, and I'm
> involved in
> local/national associations about Linux and free software.

This is very important work.

> I've installed Ubuntu on my laptops (home and work) and on the very
> very
> old iMAC of my daughter. At work there are only a few linux
> desktops and
> some debian-sarge servers.

New Debian-Installer coming out soon!

> My "activism" on FLOSS and Linux was to organise (not alone!)
> seminars
> or  conferences. I don't know if I can do something useful for the
> community but I'm lucky to be here.

We are lucky to have you. I'm sure your experience will be very
valuable. There's a gap between local LUGs and national Linux
associations which I think needs examination. What do you think?
There's so much work that needs doing, and as usual in FLOSS, a
surprisingly small number of people actually doing it, although a
great many may talk about it. ;)

We have a really impressive variety and depth of skills in this
group, so I think we can make it a pleasant and useful place to
expand our activities, and create some change elswhere.

> Last but not least: my english is not very good, so I apologize.

Please don't. As Vidya pointed out, everyone's language is important,
and if there are any misunderstandings, we can work them out.
(Anyway, your English is streets ahead of my Italian!)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)