[ubuntu-women] introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Mar 7 07:20:17 UTC 2006

On 07/03/2006, at 3:56 PM, Ursula A. Kallio wrote:

> Hello.  Nice to meet you all.

Welcome, Ursula! :)

>   I am developing a documentation infrastructure that includes
> things such as DocBook DTD, XML, XSLT, and xsltproc that runs on
> Linux (Ubuntu).

Ooh, I know quite a few free-software documentation groups who'd love
to meet you!

> Since starting my documentation development work, I have learned
> more of Linux from an admin's perspective, which is quite cool.  My
> background includes over five years of experience writing
> documentation in an HPC (high performance computing) environment.

"How to write effectively on the run." ;)

> Also, I live in California, speak Finnish and Spanish, and am
> learning Mandarin.

One of the great things about the online community, is that I really
think there is a much higher proportion of multilingual people, and
especially of people who value being multilingual.

I still remember a developer on a translation list, apologizing
because he couldn't read bug reports in users' own languages. "I'm
very sorry, " he said seriously, and with obvious embarrasment, "I
only speak about 10 languages."

:D

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)