[ubuntu-women] introduction

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Mar 7 07:16:11 UTC 2006

On 07/03/2006, at 4:49 PM, Sébastien Nicouleaud wrote:

> So, let's introduce my (included) self :)

We'll have to write you into an include file... ;)

Welcome, Sébastien! :)

> I'm a young software developer, and happy Ubuntu user (and
> bad-but-improving english speaker/writer).

Pretty good, really.

> I subscribed to this
> mailing-list because I'm interested in everything the UbuntuWomen
> effort
> will produce.

That's great to hear.

> For example, I sincerely hope it will contribute to avoid some people
> behaviour I noticed on IRC chans, which don't match my vision of an
> helpful, open-minded community.

Mine neither.

I remember, a few years ago, my elder daughter was in junior high
school, and she was asked, during a social studies class, "Who would
be more distressed by sexual abuse, boys or girls?" She answered
immediately, and quite unemotionally, "Boys. Because we're used to it."

I thought it was one of the saddest things I'd ever heard. :(

I've worked with refugees for many years, especially survivors of
trauma and torture, and I have a head full of horror stories. I can
work with hostility to women as an emergency, or an abberration, if I
have to. What I find so hard to understand is hostility to women as a
mainstream activity.

We encounter men online who threaten to kill us, and who try to harm
us in any way they can. We receive the most revolting email. I have
to filter my younger daughter's email, as well, because a man was
sending her email that made _me_ nearly throw up, simply because she
had signed a guest book online and revealed herself as young and
female. I have received an amazing number of emails from women who
say they want to contribute online, and have tried to do so, but have
been discouraged and distressed by dismissive and hostile responses
in established projects, lists and channels.

This has to change.

OTOH, I believe there are enough people who respect each other's
human rights, online, to make that change.

Like the people in this group. :)

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)