Ubuntu-Women Goals (was: [UbuntuWomen] (No, you're not... :))

Robin Sonefors ozamosi at flukkost.nu
Fri Jun 30 16:53:58 UTC 2006

I know I should shut up now, but I won't.

Are you telling me you won't ask questions when boys are around, just
because in some places, there are pissing contests?

I'm sorry, but I feel you're missing the point completely... Let me
start with this question: how many women/men are there in the forums
you're refering to? What's the ratio of that? Also, how many are
participating in these contests?

You believe that the male gender as such is responsible for that, not
the individuals? You believe that any place where male individuals is
around, you can't ask questions, because you won't get any decent
answer?

If you only knew how wrong you are...

I can tell you that the swedish ubuntu community (which I've got plenty
of experiences from)- as far as I have seen so far (and I've seen most
things) - do not engage in pissing contests. There's a good atmosphere,
that many users have claimed is the only reason they're still running
linux (there are people running arch, debian and other things in our IRC
chat, because they simply like to be there). And I can promise that this
is not the only good community around.

I can agree that sometimes, there will be a pissing contest the first
time you introduce yourself if you're a women, and everyone else is
male. That will pass - I promise. (ask Princess Leia if you don't
believe me - she wrote similar stuff today/yesterday)

There's idiot's everywhere: deal with it. If most users are cool, make
sure there's one more cool user (you). That'll make the forum/mail
list/whatever a better place to be for others.