[UbuntuWomen] New member BarbaraSamson introducing myself

Barbara Samson barbarasamson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 07:19:55 UTC 2006

Hello everyone:

I created a profile page for myself on the wiki. The text below is
copied from there. I  haven't got much free time this summer, but
would love to offer any mentoring I can once the Canadian school year
starts in September. As noted below, my sysadmin skills are a bit
lacking, but if nothing else I can always express to you my deepest
sympathy for landing in Device Driver Hell.

Cheers!

Barbara Samson

I live in Vancouver, Canada and have a Computer Science background. I
have worked as a programmer for most of the past decade, lately
specializing in Java and XML. For right now, I am a stay-at-home mom.
I live in a cohousing community and support a shared computer running
Linux. The distro is Suse and I am getting up my nerve to switch to
Ubuntu, but cannot quite face changing my users' environment just yet.
Since the release of Dapper Drake, I run Ubuntu on my Linux box at
home.

I have always used Unix or Linux as my programming environment. A year
ago I purchased an iMac and have been trying to fall in love with that
culture, but nothing so far. Nice screen, though. Ubuntu's growth took
me by surprise. The enthusiasm of the user community here impresses me
so much that I want to join in and help out. I believe that Ubuntu has
the mix of user participation and commercial support that will finally
create a viable Linux for the home market.

My other (computer-related) interests are OpenOffice and the ODF,
Apache Axis, and anything in Google Labs. I plan to work on formal
Linux certification. I have some major gaps in my System
Administration knowledge, but hope to improve that by working toward
certification.