[UbuntuWomen] Moving forward [was] The Ubuntu-Women's team and presentation

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 07:06:07 UTC 2006

On 8/16/06, Andreas Lloyd <lloydinho at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must agree with Elizabeth that this information should be centralized
> - partly to avoid duplication of effort, and partly to make it easy to
> update.

Practically speaking, its not easy to find information the Ubuntu wiki
simply due to the sheer volume.
If women come to UW its because they want to be involved here and be
visible while merging their efforts into the Community. By not
providing the information, UW is losing potential volunteers.  It
would be nicer if we understood and addressed this important aspect
instead of sending them around in circles.

> IMHO it would be better for Ubuntu-Women to focus on one-to-one
> mentoring

Like this : http://www.ubuntu-women.org/mentoring.html , ... but that
needs more people willing to spend a little time with newcomers. UW is
always interested in retaining mentors who can add dimensions and
perspective to our project and we are happy to welcome people who can
add this value.

> I don't really see how these small pages would be different from what
> I'm putting in the Contribute doc. But please let me know if I
> misunderstood something central here. :-)

Actually Elizabeths' idea for smaller pages on the wiki was good and
too much information is never bad as opposed to no (or difficult to
find) information.  I am short on time now so I leave it to you both
to find a way to implement your idea/s.

On  a tangent, although its not immediately evident there are many
(shy) women volunteering behind the scenes here (you know who you
are).  The Get Involved page (Join us section) has information on how
to list yourselves on LP, aggregate your blogs and update your
profiles.

--
Vid