Running .AppImage files under 24.04

Aaron Rainbolt arraybolt3 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 18:31:54 UTC 2024

On 5/28/24 20:27, Phil wrote:
> I'm no longer able to run any .AppImage files even though the file
> permission is correct. For example
>
> ls -l Obsidian-1.5.12.AppImage
> -rwxrwxr-x 1
>
> I have several of these file types and they all used to run until I
> upgraded to Xubuntu 24.04.
>
> I have the latest version of ibfuse2t64.

It's impossible to know for sure without seeing the exact error message,
but you may be running into the new AppArmor user namespace restrictions
added as a security feature in 24.04. They greatly reduce Ubuntu's
attack surface but also happen to break AppImages that use Electron.

For more info on what exactly is happening **and how to turn the feature
off so your appimages work**, see
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-24-04-lts-noble-numbat-release-notes/39890#unprivileged-user-namespace-restrictions-15
This should help you get things back up-and-running.