Update on Ubuntu Server 20.04.6 LTS fails to get files...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Mon May 20 06:44:38 UTC 2024

This is similar to an earlier thread dealing with Linux Mint, but this is a
non-GUI Ubuntu Server 20.04.9 LTS running headless and accessed for maintenance
only by SSH command line.

I an regularly (manually) doing a system update using these commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Today when I ran the first of these commands I was treated with this (my news
reader wraps lines at about 72 chars so please excuse that):

$ sudo apt update
Hit:1 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
Get:2 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]
Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease
Hit:4 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
Hit:5 https://apt.svtplay-dl.se svtplay-dl InRelease
Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
Hit:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease
Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease [114 kB]
Get:9 https://esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu focal-apps-security InRelease [7,565 B]
Err:10 https://esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu focal-apps-updates InRelease
  Connection failed [IP: 91.189.91.46 443]
Ign:11 https://esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu focal-infra-security InRelease
Err:12 https://esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu focal-infra-updates InRelease
  Connection failed [IP: 185.125.190.24 443]
Get:13 https://esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu focal-infra-security Release [6,568
B]
Get:14 https://esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu focal-infra-security Release.gpg [833
B]
Fetched 243 kB in 1min 30s (2,696 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
W: Failed to fetch
https://esm.ubuntu.com/apps/ubuntu/dists/focal-apps-updates/InRelease
Connection failed [IP: 91.189.91.46 443]
W: Failed to fetch
https://esm.ubuntu.com/infra/ubuntu/dists/focal-infra-updates/InRelease
Connection failed [IP: 185.125.190.24 443]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used
instead.

So there is some kind of problem here too and this time concerning stock Ubuntu
rather than Mint!

What can I do in order to make it work again?

NOTE:

The other thread ended with the poster saying:

"I'm happy to report that the *problem has been solved*!

Bill Stanley"

But WITHOUT telling us *what* he did to solve it!
A bummer which makes me ask again...

I really want to have this server updated as much as possible but cannot at
present do a release-upgrade because it is busy all the time.
Has been running for 10 months now (sice the last power outage):

~$ uptime
 08:42:54 up 300 days, 12 min

--
Bo Berglund