23.10 Beta files are available (Phoronix)

Keith keithw at caramail.com
Sun Sep 24 19:18:43 UTC 2023

On 9/24/23 12:31 PM, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> On Sat, 23 Sept 2023 at 21:28, Keith <keithw at caramail.com
> <mailto:keithw at caramail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Install the dconf-editor package and then open it and look under
>     org.gnome.mutter.keybindings.  See if "toggle-tile-left/right" entries
>     are present and if they're set to ['<Super>Left'] and ['<Super>Right']
>     respectively. Also check org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings and see if
>     maximize and unmaximize keys are set to ['<Super>Up'] and
>     ['<Super>Down'] respectively. The maximize/unmaximize keys will probably
>     be binded to other keyboards shortcuts like Alt-F11/Alt-F5
>
>     Of course, it's possible Gnome developers removed those shortcuts. It
>     really wouldn't be a new Gnome release without some features users come
>     to rely on being inexplicably yanked out.
>

> TL;DR It *almost worked*
>
> Using dconf-editor:
>
> 1. I managed to enable Super+Left arrow and Super+Right arrow in
> dconf-editor by enabling the default action.
> 2. Using dconf-editor for Super+Up arrow to a custom key of
> ['<Super>Up'] failed.

So org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings doesn't have maximize key to modify?
On 22.04, the default value is Super-Up, but you can turn off default
value and put in a custom value of ['<Super>Up'] if its not listed. Is
it giving an error when you try to set it?

Down the list there's also "Toggle Maximized" which is set to
['<Alt>F10']. You can add ['<Super>Up'] as custom value like so:
['<Alt>F10', '<Super>Up']. Super-Up then becomes a toggle for
maximize/unmaximize state.

Having both Maximize and Toggle Maximized shortcut settings is
redundant, though. Is one of them not there anymore?

> 3. Using dconf-editor for Super+Down arrow isn't necessary as I like
> thee default of restoring window to previous sizse
>
> None of the settings I applied survive a re-boot.

That's really odd. You clicked the "Apply" button at the bottom after
making a change, right? And started dconf-editor not using sudo also?

I guess you could use the command line to set the values. Maybe that'll
stick.

$ gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings maximize "['<Super>Up']"

> I wonder where on the Internet I should mention this behaviour?

hmm. not sure. If dconf-editor is not saving changes to a user's dconf
database, you'd file a bug report against it. For keyboard shortcuts I
guess a bug report would be filed against the gsettings-desktop-schemas
package for default wm keybinding and mutter-common for default mutter
keybindings.

--
Keith