dd to copy disk - but then not boot

Jerry Geis jerry.geis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 16:57:15 UTC 2023

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 12:15 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 13:45, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > So this is all on the same machine - sorry for any confusion.
> > I have my machine.  it supports 3 - PCIE disks.  So I thought I would
> try the new PCIe5 so I got one.
> > turn off my machine - put in PCIE5 disk - rebooted - so now Im back to
> running PCIe4 disk and the new PCIe5 disk is just sitting there.
>
> I am giving up. Maybe someone else can help, once you give them some
> relevant info:
>
> * what OS
> * what version
> * what PC or motherboard
> * what firmware and version
> * whether you've checked that it's current
> * what boot method (UEFI or BIOS)
> * what other OSes are present
> * how these drives are configured, connected, partitioned, formatted,
> mounted
> * what other drives are present, how they are connected
> * what you are trying to run as a guest under what, how it is configured
>
> As it is, I know nothing about your machine or its config so I can't
> even begin to guess what might have happened.
>

> --
> Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
> Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
> IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
> Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053

Hi Liam - was not trying to be difficult. Did not realise all this was
needed.

* what OS - UBuntu 22.04
* what version - 22.04
* what PC or motherboard - Gigabyte
* what firmware and version. -Z790 Aorus Elite AX
* whether you've checked that it's current - no as my current 22.04 is
running, I am just dd to another disk, and trying to boot that also.
* what boot method (UEFI or BIOS) UEFI
* what other OSes are present - just the two nvme I mentioned
* how these drives are configured, connected, partitioned, formatted,
mounted - Ext4, nvme, just two partitions, boot and everything else, mounts
as /
* what other drives are present, how they are connected - just these two
drives m.2 nmve
* what you are trying to run as a guest under what, how it is configured

Linux 22.04 is the host, LInux 22.04 is the guest on the second nvme,
virt-manager DISK is /dev/nvme0n1 and I selected the secboot.fd so UEFI
will work, just like I have done with all my vms.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Jerry