dd to copy disk - but then not boot

Jerry Geis jerry.geis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:43:15 UTC 2023

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 8:22 AM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 12:48, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have a PCIe4 disk runs fine.
> > I got a new PCIe5 disk, put that in the machine.
> > Booted up the PCIe4.
>
> Booted it how? With what?
>
> > found out PCIe4 is on nvme1n1 and the PCIe5 is nvme0n1
> > do I did "dd if=/dev/nvme1n1 of=/dev/nvme0n1"
>
> Seems like a very odd way to copy it to me. I would use Gparted or
> Clonezilla or something myself. But you have not told us the whole
> story here.
>
> > when done I setup Virt-manager to a new VM with the disk as /dev/nvme0n1
>
> Where the h3ll did Virt-manager enter the picture?! You never
> mentioned that before!
>
> Please make the effort to give us the whole story. Nobody wants to
> play guessing games what you are running or how.
>
> Read this, understand it, and use it.
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
>

> --
> Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
> Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
> IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
> Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053

hi Liam,

not trying to do anything crazy here...  I have used dd for years to copy a
disk.

So this is all on the same machine - sorry for any confusion.
I have my machine.  it supports 3 - PCIE disks.  So I thought I would try
the new PCIe5 so I got one.
turn off my machine - put in PCIE5 disk - rebooted - so now Im back to
running PCIe4 disk and the new PCIe5 disk is just sitting there.

again I do my "dd" command to copy the whole disk. I did forget to mention
the two disks are the same size.

So instead of "rebooting" I thought I would just try to use Virt-manager to
run the new PCIe5 disk. so I created the VM, did the secure boot stuff like
I always do, and attempted to run the new PCIe5 disk - without rebooting
the physical box.

I was surprised that this did not work.  I can try a clonezilla or gparted.

Thanks

Jerry