silly overview in 23.10

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:17:37 UTC 2023

On Tue, 24 Oct 2023 at 01:24, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is that GNOME in general, or just GNOME3.

GNOME 3 is dead and gone. The current version is GNOME 45.

> I still yearn for the days of GNOME2. I think it was the last great
> UI.

Personally I did not like GNOME 2 much either. It can't handle
vertical taskbars properly, and neither can its successor MATE.

I illustrated this here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/fLeAy

> Then GNOME3 came along and pissed on
> everyone's parade. They started treating everything like it was a
> tablet...

I agree. But there are reasons. Microsoft was threatening to sue. I
wrote about it:

https://www.theregister.com/Print/2013/06/03/thank_microsoft_for_linux_desktop_fail/

Of course officially RH and GNOME deny it, but GNOME 2 was a ripoff of
Windows 95. MS patented that. GNOME infringed. So, it totally
remodelled it to look different, with no taskbar, no start menu, no
system tray, no clock in the corner, etc.

Ubuntu tried to get involved; GNOME -- mainly backed by RH -- told
them to get lost. So Ubuntu did its own thing instead: Unity.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
IoM: (+44) 7624 277612: UK: (+44) 7939-087884
Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053