silly overview in 23.10

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 00:21:41 UTC 2023

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 6:02 PM Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 at 17:18, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I normally use 20.04, Was looking at 23.10,
> > What is this SILLY start in OVERVIEW - mode. terrible idea.
>
> I don't use GNOME -- I hate it -- so I have not seen this, but
> Googling suggests it's the default since GNOME 40.
>
> https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gnome-40-login-is-to-the-activities-overview-mode-how-do-you-disable-this/5783/19
>
> As you can see from the thread there, the developers like it and do
> not want to add a feature to disable it, or survey the users to ask if
> they want it.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/najbgt/gnome_40_get_rid_of_activitiesoverview_startup/
>
> There's an extension to disable it:
>
> https://fostips.com/prevent-overview-at-login-gnome-40/
>
> But no old extensions work in GNOME 45. I have written about this:
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/08/gnome_45_esm_extensions/
>
> So it might not be available any more.
>
> This kind of sh1t is one of many reasons I dislike GNOME.

Is that GNOME in general, or just GNOME3.

I still yearn for the days of GNOME2. I think it was the last great
UI. Fedora 15 with GNOME2 and a Wifi manager that actually worked beat
the snot out of Windows 7. Then GNOME3 came along and pissed on
everyone's parade. They started treating everything like it was a
tablet...

Jeff