Thunderbird accessibility (was: Re: Thunderbird email address display

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Thu Oct 5 17:06:39 UTC 2023

New thread.

On 05/10/2023 14:57, Maurice Mines wrote:
> One is there a way to clean up email boxes that are partially set up
> because I’ve gotten one email address which I will write into the
> end of this message that works beautifully, but the rest seemed to
> have issues.
If an account (email address) fails to complete the setup,
and cannot be deleted from the Thunderbird window, it should
be possible to remove the files from the folder where
Thunderbird keeps its files, and remove the relevant subfolder
manually. Quit Thunderbird before you do this, and when you
restart it, it should no longer have any knowledge of the
broken setup, and you can start setting it up again.

If you can identify the exact nature of the failure,
that might help us find a better solution.

> Thunderbird for the Mac is not accessible!

I have heard this from other blind users.

> Particularly those of us were blind.

Are you able to offer Thunderbird any help with this,
such as testing new releases of the software, or sending
them a list of the inaccessible features?

> Finally is there a good way to
> attach a signature from a Microsoft word document?

There is a very good plugin I use called Signature Switch
which lets you maintain several different signatures with
a default for each account, and switch between them when
writing a message.

> Please be aware that I am dictating this to my phone

It's working very well so far. I'm impressed.

> how does one change email addresses for receiving Thunderbird list
> email.

List email is managed by the list, not by Thunderbird.
If you need to change the email address used by a list
you can try the links at the bottom of the message
(in this case lists.ubuntu.com, but every mailing list
has its own address for making changes). If those fail,
you can always mail the list owner or moderator and ask
them to change the address for you.

Note that you have to have the new address set up in
Thunderbird BEFORE you change the address in the list,
because it will start using the new address immediately.

> I hope this message is understandable because I’m dictating it.

Perfectly so far.

> Now the first email address is for me personally,
> maurice at maurice-amines.com  > my Nfb address is
> presidentdeafblnfb at maurice-amines.com

This is very common: lots of people have a personal address
and a business address.

But normally a business address is at the business's server,
so you may have an email address @nfb.org or @nfbcal.org

> If you use one of the two email addresses. Because this list is
> apparently only available to the box that it comes to on my phone.
I am sending this to the mailing list but I have set the BCC email
header to both of your addresses. I would be interested to know if you
receive three copies (you should).

Regards
Peter