Thunderbird email address display

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Oct 5 11:48:53 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 11:02 +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:
> Probably not, but what would worry me is that the authors or
> maintainers of Tbird even considered doing this in the first place.

True. I think it was a poor choice.

> > I guess you are exaggerating for effect, but it makes you look a
> > bit silly.
>
> I don't think drawing attention to this is silly; and these things do
> sometimes need exaggeration to be recognised as serious.

Insults and accusations go beyond "exaggerating for effect". It makes
me, for one, much less likely to take someone seriously if they do not
appear to be able to tell the difference between a minor issue and
"malware", and start accusing developers of a (free, open source)
product of being "malignant".

> Bug reports to Mozilla are largely a waste of time

And throwing insults is definitely 100% a waste of time.

> Perhaps it has changed, but the numerous and longstanding (if
> minor) bugs in Tbird have remained unfixed for so long that I have
> lost my faith in their willingness to listen.

I'm not defending them. I just take issue with people abusing FOSS
developers for no good reason. State your case, state it strongly, but
when you start telling me, even in jest (and there was NO indication
that Brett was even remotely in jest) that a FOSS developer is
malignant and deliberately making malware, that's where you lose me.
Unless it's actually true, which in this case it clearly is not.

> I think the OP's complaint was that the *default* behaviour was to
> hide addresses, and that this was a poor choice.

Yes, an I agree that it is a poor choice. Not that they are well-hidden
though. Turn off remote content, turn on message pane (F8), done.

No-one is forced to use Thunderbird. There are lots of other programs.
If Thunderbird does not meet your requirements, use something else.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 61A0 99A9 8823 3A75 871E 5D90 BADB B237 260C 9C58
Old fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170