Thunderbird email address display

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Oct 4 13:36:20 UTC 2023

Bret Busby wrote:
> > > As mozzarilla have downgraded and sabotaged Thunderbird to the
> > > latest version 115.3.1 (64-bit) so as to increase fraud, email
> > > spoofing and otherwise malicious email, by concealing senders'
> > > email addresses and recipients' email addresses
> > I've said it before and I'll say it again: turn your paranoia down,
> > Bret. *WAY* down.
>
> That was uncalled-for, Liam. Bret should be able to see senders' and
> recipients' email addresses and if those aren't visible, there's an
> issue that needs attention.

[I've started a new thread to avoid hijacking the one about reverting
packages]

I use Thunderbird, not a lot but a bit. 115.3.1 now. In a message
window, email addresses and display names are shown.

In the mailbox contents list, however, the display name is shown rather
than the email addresses. This is so for the "From", "Recipients" and
"Correspondents" columns. There is an option in Settings to show only
the display name for people in your address-book, which I have turned
off because it made little difference - I see only the display name for
many people not in my address book too. Oddly it does work for some
senders; I haven't figured out yet what such emails have in common.

Perhaps it is this that has Brett agitated. I do agree it is not as
secure as seeing actual email addresses there. It means that to check
the actual addresses you need to open the message either as a preview
or as a full message display. This is not always secure, especially if
you have HTML display turned on... which is why I suggest you turn it
off.

Having the option to display actual sender and recipient addresses in
the mailbox contents list would be a good thing.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer