Printer advice

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jul 20 18:49:08 UTC 2023

At Thu, 20 Jul 2023 18:56:43 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,? not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 at 18:49, Gerhard Magnus <magnusg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >         The last HP printer I had "with free ink!" gave me so much grief
> > and
> > frustration I almost took a hammer to it before I took it to Free Geek
> > for recycling. Then I googled "HP printers are crap" and found out I was
> > far from alone.
> >
>  I don't know what their inkjet printers are like but my old HP LaserJet
> M1132 MFP works fine.

Ink Jet printers are generally crap.  I don't know about the latest generation
of "tank" type ink jet printers, but the ink-cart types are far more expensive
to operate, due to the high (effective) cost of the ink-carts.  (And if you
don't print often enough, the carts will dry up, making them even more costly
for people who print infrequently ("dammed if you do, dammed if you don't").

HP *used* to make quite decent *Laser* printers.  Maybe they still do, but
their inkjet printers are generally cheap junk.

*Laser* printers have always been cheaper to operate -- the cost per page for
the toner is orders of magnitude cheaper than for Ink Jets. I will never buy a
Ink Jet printer every again, they are too much hassle to deal with and costly
to operate. I bought a Brother B&W Laser printer in 2010 and it is *still*
working, although I am thinking of "retiring it" (selling it) and getting a
color laser printer. I paid about $240 (at Amazon) for it in 2010 and I am
eying a Lexmark color laser printer available from Amazon for $226. Since
laser printers are typically Postscript, they work out-of-the-box under Linux.
Inkjets can be a bitch to get working under Linux (even/esp HP).

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364