Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:02:48 UTC 2023

On Thu, 13 Jul 2023 11:33:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 2023-07-13 at 10:26 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>> But the output seems not to be in MBOX format, which according to what I have
>> read is a single file (at least per directory).
>> Here all emails wind up as individual files inside subdirs named as the folders
>> in the PST...
>>
>> I tried asking ChatGPT but it seems not to get it right either...
>

>please stop using ChatGPT, at least to get this kind of information.

I have not used it before and will probably not in the future given the strange

>If I select one mail by Evolution, I can save this single mail as mbox,
>if I select two mails, it saves both mails as a single mbox file. You
>can test this with almost all, if not all mailers supporting mbox.

I don't have Evolution, just tried using ThunderBird since it seems to be the
recommended mail client on Linux..

Now I have converted my GMail Outlook profile file (PST) using the command:

time readpst -M -e -o gmailbosse GMail-Bosse.pst
(took less than a second)

Then I have also installed the add-on ImportExportTools_NG in TB and tried to
use it to import a profile copy in TB.

But it returns a "no valid profile found" error...

So I guess I am out of luck?

PS: My Gmail profile in Outlook_2019 uses POP3 and *NOT* IMAP so that should not
be an issue. DS

>Btw. ChatGPT as well as search engines other than Google, tend to work
>less well when using another language than English.

I have never used anything but English in all of my PC:s since the IBM PC was
released some 40+ years ago. My installations are all set to English precisely
to avoid brain-dead translations of English terms.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden