Migrate Outlook into Thunderbird?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 16:29:24 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 12:18 PM Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:

> On 7/10/23 01:33, Bo Berglund wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 00:18:14 -0700, sdavmor <sdavmor at systemstheory.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I have done this several times.
> >> I keep an old version of Thunderbird around for exactly this.
> >> I will post information about how to do this Monday.
> >> Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
> > Thanks, I appreciate that!
>
> Thunderbird release 17.x is what I have used.  Install it on Windows
> then use the built-in Outlook import tool to read the PST files.  This
> gets you away from Outlook into an older version of Thunderbird.  You
> will see you existing Outlook account setup mapped into Thunderbird.
> Then copy the Thunderbird storage files over to your Linux system and
> open them in a current version of Thunderbird.  You should be good to go.

Mozilla's PPA may provide it.

Uninstall Ubuntu's version of Thunderbird, but don't purge the
configuration files. Then add this PPA:

    $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mozillateam-ubuntu-ppa-jammy.list
    deb https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu/ jammy main
    # deb-src https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/mozillateam/ppa/ubuntu/
jammy main

You can also get an updated version of Firefox, if you are interested.

And my condolences if you have to work around Snap for this.

> Alternatively there are 3rd party software solutions that will let you
> open the PST files and export to one of many formats, including MBOX.
> Those will cost you some change however. Probably $50 USD or so.
>
> If you can't find Thunderbird 17.x out there in the wild let me know and
> I will upload it to a 21 day fileshare.

Jeff