Ubuntu installers?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 12 22:58:44 UTC 2023

On 1/12/23 12:46, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-01-12 at 10:05 -0500, gene heskett wrote:
>>
>> That was school teaching time Ralf, and something a lot of audio folks
>> don't get, concentrating on putting mic's all over and controlling the
>> stereo with the mixing board. Its not the same by a heck of a long row
>> of apple trees. Keep on teaching.
>
> When I was 16 or 17, I used to run one year full-time after a cameraman
> to carry the camera cables. After the video production, I rolled up the
> microphone cables. This was in a professional video studio, not a youth
> club. I suspect to do a good video or audio job we need 10% talent and
> 90% work experience. What do you think Gene?

I can't utter a syllable arguing with that. I got interested in the
physical world about me when I was 5 or 6, and asked mother what gravity
was.  At that point we had only done the Michelson-Morely experiment so
we didn't even know its propagation velocity, now we do and its well
within 1% of C speed. Mother didn't have an answer but the next time
grandpas team of horses went to town where mom hit the library and
brought back an older high school physics text book, which I promptly
devoured. School was boring except for one class, phonics, something
they no longer teach as it been part of a 100+ year old plan to dumb us
down so they can lead us to slaughter. So I quit school as soon as I
legally could and went to work fixing the newfangled things called tv's,
in '48 or so. Skip fwd 50 years and I'm the CE at a tv station in West
Virginia, fixing 99.5 percent of the stuff a 20 person news dept can
break with a straight face in addition to doing most everything at the
transmitter, which was new in 1956. In 18.5 years in that chair, we were
off the air about 4 days total. A new operator pullled open the back
door of one of its cabinets, the safety interlocks closed, shorting the
high voltage, the main plate breaker had vibrated one of its tripper
gizmo's so it didn't open. Burned up a 4000 plate transformer and since
that place was grandfathered when the NEC became the law, there was no
building breaker, so 80 feet of 750 mcm drop from the substation pole,
the weatherhead at the entrance and a goodly portion of the fuses on the
substation pole had been blown so many time that the inside of the
porcelain tubes hiding the fuse wire were still conducting enough the
building still had lights most of the time, But the stuff dripping off
the pole started a grass fire i had to stomp out 3 or 4 times.

Fortunately we had a spare transformer only needing getting a good sized
front end loader from a junk yard 40 miles away to move it. I saw some
expert driving that day. He came in, picked up the fried one, and backed
back out the garage door, with about 3 inches to spare. Ditto getting
the spare out of a different garage door and brought it in and put it
precisely matching the paint job on the floor. Then I got to work
rerigging the quadruple hunks of 750 mcm cable to get it hooked up. And
rebuilt all the burned up hardware on the door.  That was the third very
long day. I spent several hours rebuilding the plate breaker so all the
trippers worked by going up to WVU in Morgantown where they had lined up
a dozen or more of those breakers ready to recycle, I grabbed two of the
better ones and made one good one. GE AK225's, were around $7k new, but
new was in the '50's & '60's and this was about '91.

I think, for a guy with an 8th grade education on paper, I've done
pretty good. OTOH, I tested at 147 on the Iowa test in '47, so its not
surprising that electronically, I have been asked if I really could walk
on water by folks that don't have a clue what happens when they turn on
the lights and they Just Work. Or whats wrong if they don't...

Now I've been retired since the middle of 2002, 88 and diabetic, with a
pacemaker and a fresh aortic valve in my heart, and beginning to have
problems with short term memory. My 3rd wife of 31 years passed 2 years
ago, so I'm alone and still playing with cnc machinery and 3d printers.
I write my own code for both. And doing far more talking with my fingers
than with my voice. Along the way I've collected quite a few "war
stories" despite being classified 4f in the early 50's because I made a
98 on the AFQT. Next best in around 140 boys that took that test that
day, was 36. The recruiters were looking for cannon targets, not smart
people I guess. Quite a few did not come back from Korea.  Those that
did, and survive yet, get a special salute and thank you from me.

Take care and stay well, everyone that has read this far. Thank you all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis