Ubuntu installers?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:38:24 UTC 2023

On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 at 11:41, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, dem 10.01.2023 um 15:23 +0100 schrieb M. Fioretti:
> > On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 12:00:11 PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> >
> > Do you realize that you just said that, since I happen to write every
> > now and then, a 100 lines Perl script to parse some text, or a 50
> > lines Python script to generate charts, I should stay in the same
> > category of people who know how to write kernel drivers or AI
> > applications from scratch, and maybe are paid be good at that full
> > time?
>
> yes, writing code, unrelated to the size, length or language of your
> scripts makes you a developer in my view ...

Just for what little it's worth:

Yes, I agree with Oliver's comment here

> 90% of the ubuntu users around me have never opened a terminal on their
> ubuntu boxes, have no clue what a deb or a snap is

Agreed again.

Ubuntu is intended to be "Linux for human beings".

Not a techie OS. A replacement for Windows, for the billions who just
point and click. A replacement for MacOS, for those who find Windows
too much of a pain.

It's about as good for developers as any other Linux.

Fedora might be a little better: it is explicitly aimed at developers.
But Fedora is a 6-monthly alpha-test of tech that may go into the next
RHEL. That's it's _real_ purpose. RH's excuse, its _pretext_ for this,
is that by getting all the latest components every ½ year, it's good
for developers.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053