Ubuntu installers?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon Jan 9 15:17:37 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jan 09, 2023 15:33:42 PM +0100, Liam Proven wrote:

> The problem is: Linux is very complicated, because lots of different
> teams design and build different bits of it. That makes it fragile.

what I see as end user is lots of different teams, each packaging
different bits in a different way, forcing and users to learn all
those ways, and cope by themselves with any problem this may cause.

> The treatment is: make it less fragile.

OK. I get this, and I like it.

> You are obsessing over there being too many tools and not knowing how
> to choose

For heaven's sake and for the hundredth time: NO, NO, NO! This is
getting ridiculous, even if I were completely wrong.

Not me for sure. Have you read my full post or not? Me, I am
complaining only that there is NO CHOICE AT ALL today, on what I am
ACTUALLY talking about. That no matter which distro you run, if you
are even a bit more than the basic user, today you MUST use all the
packaging tools that exist period. Because if you need ten third party
applications not in the official repository, they are available in
twelve different package FORMATS, incompatibilities be damned.

> It is not about packaging tools, so *please* stop complaining about
> packaging tools.

Tell that to Owen. Me, I can't stop because I never started. I've been
saying from the beginning that MY problem is each community of
developers falling in love with their own packaging standard/format.

> It is about getting from London to Dusseldorf via 3 trains, 6
> motorways, a tunnel and an aeroplane, and you keep complaining that
> the taxi to the station is the wrong colour.

Again, no, me I don't give a flying f**k what color the taxi is. I am
only complaining because I am forced to take all the other things, no
matter where I want to go.

This said: sincere thanks for your explanation of where things are
going, really! Right now, I have no elements to dispute that that
strategy will solve also the problems I actually mentioned. But if I
keep saying "A", telling me that I'm wrong in saying "B" is not going
to help me, even if "A" is objectively wrong

Thanks,
		Marco
--
Help me write my NEXT MILLION WORDS for digital awareness:
https://stop.zona-m.net/2021/10/funding-2021-2022/