Ubuntu installers?

Owen Thomas owen.paul.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:07:42 UTC 2023

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 at 03:03, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 23:49:45 PM +1100, Owen Thomas wrote:
>
> > I want to leave it here, but there is opportunity that begs the
> question: Why
> > would it just be me?
>
> no, it's not just you at all.

Yes, I know. I know that Liam knows that I know. I know that everyone here
knows that everyone here knows.

I don't want to immerse myself in Ubuntu minutiae or others' erudite, but
often self-satisfied displays of it. If others were me, they would find
their displays appear to be made at my expense, and that leaves an ugly
question hanging like a damp fart.

However, it would be excellent if Ubuntu took hold of one way of installing
software and eviscerated all the others. Perhaps maintaining the Software
Centre and stopping its forever searches or running them as a background
process that can be started and stopped by user instruction would be a good
thing. Perhaps just having one CLI package manager - call it "apt" and have
all your man pages refer only to that is a good thing.

Please keep Ubuntu simple because most people have lives that do not
include dealing with the way their OS installs software.