boot an alternate kernel

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Fri May 27 07:40:34 UTC 2022

** Reply to message from Aaron Rainbolt <arraybolt3 at gmail.com> on Thu, 26 May
2022 21:35:39 -0500

> > SDA1 is the bios-grub partition.
>
> Well, in that instance, maybe GRUB is finding the boot menu from your
> test partition, not the one from your main partition. Try mounting
> SDA2 and try the commands I mentioned (though do be aware that you
> might be unable to boot from the test partition if you do this).

The man page for the update-grub command states it runs "grub-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub/grub.cfg".

If I look at /boot/grub/grub.cfg I see markup language for the boot menu.  The
menu ior each partition has the menu items for all bootable Ubuntu partitions
but they are in a different order.  Now that I fixed the problem I can no
longer tell why the update-grub for SDA9 did not work.  Did it fail to create
the menu in /boot/grub/grun.cfg or did it fail to copy the menu into grub?  My
guess is that grub-mkconfig updates the menu for the partition it is booted
from and that it or someother program copies the menu into grub.  I think it
should not make any difference which system is booted when the update is done.
I will have to monitor the updates more closely and check the boot menu
whenever it gets updated to determine what is actually happening.

--
Robert Blair

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.  -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian