boot an alternate kernel

Bob ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net
Thu May 26 01:04:27 UTC 2022

** Reply to message from "Bob" <ubuntu-qygzanxc at listemail.net> on Tue, 24 May
2022 23:32:08 -0700

> I have never had the need to boot an alternate kernel.
>
> My first time did not go well.  This computer (Lenovo IdeaCentre 5) had been
> updated from 21.10 to 22.04 and later it had another update that I installed.
> After that last update I had no network connection.  I have verifyed that the
> networking works by booting windows.
>
> It appears that the boot files have been corrupted.
>
> Boot options displays the Ubuntu version as 21.10 which is wrong.  After boot
> the settings show the Ubuntu version as 22.04 LTS
>
> This is what is displayed selecting the "Advanced options" to boot a different
> kernel.
>
> *Ubuntu (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-40-generic (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-40-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-39-generic (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-39-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-37-generic (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 5.13.0-37-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-46-generic (on /dev/sda9)
>  Ubuntu, with Linux 4.13.0-46-generic (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda9)
>
> Selecting any of those kernels except the first one the system gets an error
> and does not boot.
>

> This is what is available on the system.
>
> bob1 at Juptier:~$ ls /boot/vmlinuz*
> /boot/vmlinuz                    /boot/vmlinuz-5.13.0-40-generic
> /boot/vmlinuz.old
> /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-46-generic  /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-30-generic
> bob1 at Juptier:~$
>

> This is the kernel that was booted by default.
>
> bob1 at Juptier:~$ uname -r
> 5.13.0-40-generic
> bob1 at Juptier:~$
>
> I tried sudo grub-install but it did not change the boot options.
>
> How do I get the list of kernels fixed so it will display the list of kernels
> that is actually available for selection?  At this time I assume that if the
> kernel 5.15.0.-30-generic was the default the system would boot correctly.
>
> Is there a way to tell what the last uodate changed?

I now have the system up and running again.

I have to select the advanced option on the boot menu and edit it to be able
boot the correct kernel.  It took a few tries but I finally know what I need to
edit to boot the kernel I need.

I used the string of commands that have been recommended on this list after a
bad update.  It did a lot of updates so I think that a bad update was the main
problem.

I still have a bad boot menu.  I tried the grub-install command but that did
not fix the menu.  Any suggestions on how to get the boot menu to show the
correct kernels?

--
Robert Blair

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant.  -- Maximilien Robespierre