Latest update kills my laptop video

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:42:31 UTC 2022

Hey there,

MR ZenWiz wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> You can fill out the top section on this page to find out what the
>> current driver for your card is:

>> https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

>Did that, downloaded it.

I don't actually download it. I use it as a reference before doing an
installation so that I'll know which version to pick if offered a
choice.

>> I use Kubuntu, so things are likely done differently, but I would
>> imagine the Driver Manager would offer you a choice. It sounds like
>> you're not being offered one, though, so hopefully others will
>> chime in with how to get past that.

>I tried that, too. It's called Additional Drivers, and it was no
>help. It shows me there are drivers installed, but it won't let me
>change which one to use.

Same here in the Driver Manager. That may be because we ticked the
"Install third-party software for graphics and Wi-Fi hardware, Flash,
MP3 and other media" box at the beginning of the installation of the
operating system. I guess that when we do that, we put Ubuntu and
NVIDIA in the driver's seat and let them decide what's best for us.

It would be nice if our Driver Manager and Additional Drivers
interfaces would give us some sort of notification letting us know
that that's why we can't make any changes. Even better would be a
checkbox or other toggle that lets us choose to cancel that decision
after all and take control.

>I gave up. I backed up the paltry 1.5Gb of files there, reinstalled
>Xubuntu 20.04 from my flash drive, ran all the updates, restored all
>th files, and everything is working fine - right resolution, right
>monitors, and zoom 5.10 even works.

>It was an hour and a half of pain, but all is now well and I'm
>happier.

I'm glad it all worked out, but it's a shame to have had to go
through the installation more than once. I just did that recently as
well after installing what I had thought was the current LTS only to
find out that this April's release was, surprisingly, also an LTS.

The installation of the operating system may not take very long, but
copying over all your data, installing all your software, and
fiddling around with everything to make it just the way you like it
afterwards takes forever. I'm still messing with mine, but Kubuntu
offers a billion and one ways to tweak everything, so it's possible
that there's never actually such a thing as being "done" with it.

One thing I'd wonder about in your scenario, though, is why your
video card was treated differently from one installation to another.
Did you do anything differently during the installations or did some
unknown thing just go wrong in that first installation?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.