Thinkpad L 15 gen 2 advice

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun May 22 02:08:44 UTC 2022

At Sun, 22 May 2022 10:41:46 +1000 kauer at biplane.com.au, "Ubuntu user technical support,? not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2022-05-22 at 10:04 +1000, Phil wrote:
> > My main concern is for the waste of a perfectly good laptop, it only
> > overheats under heavy loads such as watching YouTube videos. I'm
> > assuming that a newer laptop will not overheat but I don't know.
> >

> Does it actually overheat? It is normal for the fan to come on when a
> CPU is working harder. A correctly functioning laptop in a normal
> office or household situation, literally cannot overheat - the cooling
> system is designed to deal with it running at maximum capacity (though
> not 100% of the time). If the fan seems unduly loud, louder than it
> used to be, or doesn't seem to be cooling the laptop (check with
> something that actually shows you how hot the CPU is), it is most
> likely the fan itself. Especially if the unit is old or has been in
> dusty situations.
>
> First make sure there is no obvious blockage of the vents or suchlike.
> People putting their laptops on bedclothes, cushions etc is a prime way
> to block vents *and* provide plenty of dust. A vaccuum cleaner *very
> carefully* applied to the vents is a good way to get some stuff out.
> Put your fingers over the end of the nozzle to control the suction and
> ensure the nozzle does not directly touch the vents.

Right.  I discovered that my (old) Lenovo laptop would overheat when I had it
om my *lap*.  What has happening was when on my lap, my legs would block the
intake vents.  If the laptop was on a hard surface (eg a table), there were
rubber "feet" which would insure an air space under the laptop.  I guess it
was a less then optimal design for a *laptop*... :-)

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364