locate can't find files?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Sat May 14 04:16:18 UTC 2022

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 8:58 PM Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

:
> I wasn't suggesting any of those reasons were THE reason for your
> difficulty, just that they were the possibilities I knew of. I don't
> know if plocate works the same way as mlocate/locate, but if you can
> force a database update, I would. Seems you already have.

My apologies, I didn't mean to be rude.

I tried your suggestion of creating a file in my 4HOME/Downloads,
updated the db, and locate (plocate) found it.

I copied that file to the htera directory and updated the db - not found there.

I looked in /etc/updatedb.conf and I don't see anything too obvious there:

21:09 [admar at marbase:~/Downloads] $ sudo cat /etc/updatedb.conf
PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS="yes"
# PRUNENAMES=".git .bzr .hg .svn"
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /var/spool /media /var/lib/os-prober /var/lib/ceph
/home/.ecryptfs /var/lib/schroot"
PRUNEFS="NFS afs autofs binfmt_misc ceph cgroup cgroup2 cifs coda
configfs curlftpfs debugfs devfs devpts devtmpfs ecryptfs ftpfs
fuse.ceph fuse.cryfs fuse.encfs fuse.glusterfs fuse.gvfsd-fuse
fuse.mfs fuse.rclone fuse.rozofs fuse.sshfs fusectl fusesmb hugetlbfs
iso9660 lustre lustre_lite mfs mqueue ncpfs nfs nfs4 ocfs ocfs2 proc
pstore rpc_pipefs securityfs shfs smbfs sysfs tmpfs tracefs udev udf
usbfs"

/htera is a 4Tb hard drive in /etc/fstab, mounted pretty ordinarily. I
have no trouble finding other files and directories on it with locate,
just nothing in the /htera/Videos/Improvicus directory - nothing at
all, not even the directory itself.

Very weird.

Mark