locate can't find files?

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Sat May 14 03:08:06 UTC 2022

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 7:14 PM Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 18:37 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> > Any clues?
>
> These are some reasons why locate might not find things:
>
> 1: Files are not there
But they are - ls can see them, thunar can see them, I can play the videos,...

> 2: Files are not called what you think they are
Please note in the listing I sent in my original message that they all
contain the pattern as I specified it.

> 3: Filenames have invisible characters in them
How would I know that? If they don't show in ls or thunar, how could
anyone know this?

> 4: Files are on a network drive
I don't have any network drives per se - all are in my system box.

> 5: Permissions issues when database last updated
I run sudo updatedb frequently. Shouldn't that sidestep this issue?
Also, the permissions are plain vanilla on all the files (644 or 640)
and directories (755 or 750).

> 6: Files not present when database last updated
I ran an update immediately before running the commands I posted.

> 7: Filesystem not mounted when database last updated
These filesystems are mounted at boot.

> You could try running a manual database update:
>
>    sudo /etc/cron.daily/mlocate
No such file - I ran sudo /etc/cron.daily/plocate. Still no help.

FWIW, the last thing that happened before this mess was I updated the
kernel (via the software updater) and let it reboot.  It restarted a
slew of windows that I had closed - very strange.

I'm going to reboot again to see if that happens again.

Thanks.

Mark