Wildly inconsistent scanning speed Xubuntu 22.04 + HP OfficeJet? 4654

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Jun 15 21:32:37 UTC 2022

At Wed, 15 Jun 2022 13:28:11 -0700 "Ubuntu user technical support,? not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 10:15 AM Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> :
> >
> > Well, Brother and Lexmark have good Linux support and are cheaper than HPs.
> >
> > Inkjets are for the most part something of a rippoff because of the high cost
> > of ink carts (although there is a new one I've see advertised that does not
> > use ink carts -- instead uses a refillable tank system instead).
> >
> > Inkjet printers tend to be cheaply made and are not expected to have a long
> > lifetime.  Color *laser* printers and all-in-ones have come down in price and
> > are getting close to price competitive with high-end inkjet all-in-ones.
> >
> Thank you for that information - I have a Brother laser printer that I
> use for most of my printing, but color is occasionally useful.

The local library had a Brother color laser all-in-one and it was fairly easy
to get setup on the library's *Linux* network.

> However, my concern is about the scanning speed and odd behavior.
>
> What fast, good scanners are there that get along well with Linux?  Do
> Brother or Lexmark have such scanners, or are these all-in-ones too?
> Is a standalone scanner better than an all-in-one? Do any of the
> stand-alone scanners have sheet feeders?

I don't know anything about current model standalone scanners. I am not sure
if standalone scanners are really much of a thing these days, except maybe for
speciality scanners (eg ones specificly designed for special cases, like
scanners for photo negatives, etc.).  I expect that the market wants
all-in-ones or just printers, and that is what is out there.

> My experience with Lexmarks (many many many eons ago) was all bad.
> Have they improved enough to be worth considering again?

The local library got a color Lexmark all-in-one laser (when the Brother they
had wore out) and it was very easy to set up on our library's *Linux* network.
It appears, at least with lasers, Lexmark has gotten their act together.

I think the thing is this:

*Laser* printers are *page* oriented and most (all?) implement PostScript,
which is a page definiation language. Inkjets are line oriented and use a
variaty of manufacture-specific line oriented systems, with each successive
model tweaking the line oriented system to handle the ever higher resolution
(so the older driver does not work, so a newer driver is needed, which might
not be readily available for Linux). PostScript is not tied to a partitular
resolution -- this means that the "public facing" side the driver does not
need to change, only the deep under-the-hood side changes to match changes in
the printer hardware. This means that the host driver changes little.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364