How do I 'do-release-upgrade' now 21.10 is (just) out of support?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Jul 26 15:08:00 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 01:38:59PM +0100, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>    Hi Chris,
>    On Tue, 26 Jul 2022 at 13:19, Chris Green <[1]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>      I'm sure I've not hit this problem before but when I try
>      'do-release-upgrade' on my [x]ubuntu 21.10 system it says:-
>          root at t470# do-release-upgrade
>          Checking for a new Ubuntu release
>          Your Ubuntu release is not supported anymore.
>          For upgrade information, please visit:
>          [2]http://www.ubuntu.com/releaseendoflife
>          Please install all available updates for your release before
>      upgrading.
>      It's only 4 months since 22.04 was released, it feels like there's
>      very little overlap between releases.
>
>    Well, 21.10 is a Short Term Release but this is a conversation you need
>    to have with people from Canonical.
>    However, I had a 21.10 system (T500 ThinkPad) I was using for one
>    development project. I dusted it down last Monday to work on a
>    different project and discovered that it was End Of Life by one day. So
>    I ran the GUI Software Updater program ( pressed ALT+F2 and typed in
>    update-manager ), installed 387MB of updates. Then I ran Software
>    Updater again and there was a button to press to perform the upgrade to
>    22.04 which brought in over 1GB of dependencies for me and it all
>    worked.

If I run update-manager it fails with "Software updates are no longer
provided for Ubuntu 21.10" and tells me to upgrade.  If I click on the
upgrade button I get the same message as I get with 'do-release-upgrade'.

My systems are pretty close to up to date.

I *think* the problem may be that I have one package 'held back'
(libpcre2-8-0) and I need to get that to be 'unheld back' before the
release upgrade will work.

--
Chris Green