Questions about Linux Mint and this list

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Wed Jul 20 15:13:14 UTC 2022

On 20/07/2022 10:12, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, dem 19.07.2022 um 23:33 +0100 schrieb Peter Flynn:
>> On 19/07/2022 21:39, Ian Bruntlett wrote:
>>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 at 00:55, Dave Stevens via ubuntu-users

>>> please let us know how it works out, I'm thinking of the same thing.
[...]
> what do you expect to achieve by reporting it to the ubuntu-users
> mailing list?

I was asked to (see above).

>> the rotating spinner just vanishes from the screen,

> none of the developers working on the new installer read along here,
> if you actually want to get it fixed, [...]
> there are chances to fix it "after decades" *if* you let the people
> know that *can* fix it (and that asked explicitly for feedback) ...

I could file a bug report, but no-one else seems ever to have noticed or
mentioned it, so I'm not sure it's that important.

>> Second major blunder: the Software Center or whatever the fancy GUI
>> interface to apt is called HAS NO SEARCH!
>
> the redhat developers maintaining GNOME have decided to move many UI
> elements in unusual places ... if you look around a little you will
> find that big looking glass icon at the very top left of the window ...

I apologise unreservedly for this...thank you, yes, quite right, a very
small icon is there, in mid-grey on light-grey, and I literally never
saw it despite looking everywhere and rebooting from the USB twice in
case I had missed something. I was looking for a search box rather than
an icon, which is entirely my fault.

> in general you will find many UI elements in the newer GNOME versions
> in odd places that take a while to get used to ...

I can deal with that because I haven't used Gnome for many years, so I
remember very little about it.

However, even having located the search, it appears that gnome-tweaks
does not exist for this release. I would need to find out which config
file to edit to move the toolbar icons and fix the window behaviour.
Without those and other interface fixes, including a working Bluetooth,
it's going to be a dead duck.

> instead of complaining in a mailing list, did you consider to file bugs

I'm still evaluating if that is going to be worthwhile.

> ... if you run such a "pre-release" version you should really use
> ubuntu-bug to report your issues to get them fixed in time ...

Oh dear. Launchpad. That doesn't tell me how to report a bug that is in
the installer, not in an application package, and it assumes you have
Ubuntu up and running. I'm on another system, and ubuntu-bug is not an
installable package under that name. I installed apport, but now I get

>> $ ubuntu-bug installer
>>
>> *** Collecting problem information
>>
>> The collected information can be sent to the developers to improve the
>> application. This might take a few minutes.
>>
>> *** Problem in ubiquity
>>
>> The problem cannot be reported:
>>
>> This is not an official Linux package. Please remove any third
>> party package and try again.

Plus it asks multiple times for authentication and then dies. Does
anyone know how not-yet-Ubuntu-users can file bug reports about the
installer when they don't have a working Ubuntu system?

Peter