Bone-conduction headset

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 21:31:34 UTC 2022

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 at 22:28, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I don't know if "Macs" is for iOS and iPadOS, too. My outdated as well
> as my current iPad work well with Bluetooth, paired with pencil,
> speakers, headphones, MIDI keyboard.

I have 1 iPhone. Bluetooth with it has been perfectly seamless, no
issues at all.

I don't own an iPad.

> Life is to short, I never tried to get Bluetooth working, maybe because
> I first would need to buy a Bluetooth adapter.

I have a pair. Bought to try to get a BT LAN link going, 20Y ago. They
work, inasmuch as Linux detects them and I can do file transfers.

> Consider to lower your expectations. What will you do if somebody knows
> a Suse-based distro that fulfils this requirement ;)?

I am sure many of you folks know that until last year I worked for SUSE.

We all switched to mandatory work from home in early March 2020 and
never returned.

One of my colleagues decided to replace his relatively low quality USB
headphones with his personal audio ones.

He posted a HOWTO for us internally.

It was horrific... kernel changes, manual removal of subsystems,
building apps from source, all sorts of pain. Took him 2 days to get
it working, although he did.

(This on a modern laptop with integral BT, performed by a Linux pro.)

I read his instructions and decided never to try.

No, openSUSE is no better!

Android OK. iOS good. Macs, pretty good. I recently switched to a 3rd
party BT mouse, to free up one of my few USB ports. Works fine. Not as
quick to wake from sleep as my old USB wireless mouse, but it works
fine. Haven't tried audio yet though.

(Normally I avoid wireless mice, but this one was a gift from my
elderly and technophobic mother.)

FWIW, I use a Plantronics USB headset on my Mac for Zoom etc. It works
great. It was a pain in the neck on Linux, either no audio, or no mic,
or both, or needing to be unplugged and reconnected to work. In the
end, with my bad audio becoming a running joke, I switched to ancient
conference-freebie wired phone headphones.

100% perfectly working every time.

My colleagues couldn't believe my audio problems had gone away. I told
them how. There was much hilarity.

So, I went out and bought a pair of good, bass-boost, top-end wired
Sony in-ear headphones. I think they are this model:
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-xb55ap

They are superb. No batteries, no pairing, 100% reliable, compatible
with Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, macOS, everything. No charging
needed, ever.

They're comfy, the sound is great, and they cost the equivalent of €20.

Highly recommended.

Even USB headsets on Linux are a pain. Headphone sockets Just Work™,
first time every time.

https://xkcd.com/2055/

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/LinkedIn: lproven ~ Skype: liamproven
UK: (+44) 7939-087884 ~ Czech [+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal]: (+420) 702-829-053