Bone-conduction headset

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Jul 17 21:53:36 UTC 2022

On 17/07/2022 21:02, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 at 16:19, Peter Flynn <peter at silmaril.ie> wrote:
[...]
>> (currently on Mint 20.1 with whatever Bluetooth comes as standard).
>
> That's well out of date now. The Mint upgrade process is easy and
> streamlined now. You ought to be on 20.3 by now.

I have tested upgrades by installing them on another machine booting
from USB. They all exhibited the same error. Bluetooth will on occasions
simply fail to notify ALSA (or whatever sound system is installed) that
a suitable device has been connected.

> Anyway, on topic: I haven't tried. TBPH I really only trust Macs and
> Android with Bluetooth stuff.
Agreed. All my Bluetooth devices work perfectly with my Android phone.
It is unclear to me why the Linux Bluetooth software is so bad.

> Last time I tried a BT mouse  under Ubuntu, it was awful. I had to
> install a whole new stack (I think called BlueZ) to get it working
> at all. Result: working, but 2 BT icons in the status bar.

Something like that, although oddly, Bluetooth mice are the only devices
that seem to work immediately without intervention here.

> Mint 21 will use a new BT stack, partly because the GNOME devs won't
> support interop with anyone else's desktop. (Figures.)

I'm not willing to enter the loop on inter-dev jealousies, but if the
new BT stack supports devices as well as Android does the job, it looks
like a winner.

> It's in beta now. Seems to work well. I previewed it last week:
> https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/14/mint_21_beta/

Thank you...I can wait :-)

On 17/07/2022 21:26, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Consider to lower your expectations. What will you do if somebody
> knows a Suse-based distro that fulfils this requirement ;)?

Immediately install it on a sacrificial machine that I can use for
conference calls only (remember, my immediate requirement is for a headset).

Peter